Monday, September 28, 2009

Adventures in Ushering and Then Some

So, a lot has been going on lately. MY Biggest news, sadly not as exciting as it sounds, is that starting tomorrow I am head usher at the theater for a week! This does mean some extra work and responsibility but it also means higher pay. And let's face it, I love getting more money (especially on rent week). The job title mainly entails that I schedule all the ushers and make sure everything runs smoothly, I am definitely up for the challenge!

A highlight of this week included seeing NON-BIRDIE theatre!! Exciting! First, I saw a 'scratch night' at The Barrow Group. Scratch night is when local artists get together a present works in progress to get an audience reaction and feedback. I am not going to lie, it really let me down. I was excited about upcoming works, new young artists, an accepting arts atmosphere. You'd expect edgy, raw, risky works right? WRONG! It seemed mostly to be popcorn entertainment. Most of the acts were comedians who did safe material. I did talk to some people and generally enjoyed the presenters but it wasn't what I was hoping to see. I wanted to see passionate, daring, driven theatre that would in turn motivate me to create passionate, daring, and driven theatre.

However, last night I saw Cymbeline by Fiasco Theater Company at the Access Theater. It was a very different experience. The piece was adventurous and passionate. The play was performed by 6 actors playing a variety of roles all except the actress playing Imogen. The concept culminated at the moment when King Cymbeline announces "everyone appears to be someone else," when not only had each character proved themselves and others false but also each actor had been playing multiple roles, all except Imogen. Imogen throughout the story holds true to her beliefs and to her moral character, since she never waivers neither did the actress. I also enjoyed the simplicity in the sets and costumes. Although they were not extravagant, they wowed the audience with their dynamic use and function. I was highly impressed and hope to find more theatre groups that inspire me like this one.

Lastly I have three crafty projects in mind. If I write them on this blog maybe I will actually complete them! First, I have been working to turn this sixties style go-go dress that barely fits around my hips into a cute tunic style night-on-the-town top. I have already made slits on the sides up to the hip, I still need to hem it and create a keyhole or V-neck (haven't decided which yet, but it definitely needs something). Second, I need a new purse! I have so much scrap fabric I can easily create a cute patchwork type purse. Third, I need to knit again! Winter in NY is bound to get cold so I am going to knit my first hat! The hat will be stripped with knit and purl stitches.

Lastly, I have been baking lately! My chocolate chip oatmeal cookies are easy and quick, not to mention delicious! I took a recipe and changed it a bit. Since we just moved in we don't have all the baking necessities yet, so I picked one that cut a few corners.

ingredients:
1 package of yellow cake mix (so flour, sugar, milk, salt, and baking powder aren't needed)
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 cup of oats
3/4 cup chocolate chips
--I add cinnamon and a bit of cocoa powder

Bake for eight minutes and enjoy!!

:) Kosmo

PS hope you like the new layout!

2 comments:

Yellow Cardi Smarty said...

I love any kind of recipe that involves chocolate and cutting corners :)

Great blog, Megan!!

-Katie

Kosmo said...

Thanks Katie!-- Just saw this comment but I hope you enjoyed the cookies and keep reading!